GIT | CIVIL | FLUID MECHANICS LABORATORY
The concept of fluid mechanics in civil engineering is essential to understand the processes and science of fluids. The course deals with the basic concepts and principles in hydrostatics, hydro kinematics and hydrodynamics with their applications in fluid flow problems.
On successful completion of the laboratory course, the students shall be able to understand:
- The properties of fluids, units and dimensions.
- Pressure measurement, manometry.
- Principle of buoyancy and stability of floating body.
- Importance of fluid flow and various velocity measuring and discharge measuring devices used in pipes and channels.
List of Experiments
1. Determination of the Metacentric height of a floating body.
2. Investigating the validity of the Bernoulli equation applied to a steady flow of water through a tapered duct
3. Determination of coefficient of discharge of Venturimeter.
4. Determination of coefficient of discharge of Orifice meter.
5. Determination of coefficient of discharge of Nozzle meter.
6. Determination of coefficient of discharge of Notches (Rectangular and Triangular notch).
7. Determination of coefficient of discharge of weirs (Broad Crested weir and Ogee weir).
8. To determine the value of coefficient of contraction, coefficient of velocity and coefficient of discharge for the given orifice.